President Bola Tinubu has urged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and security agencies to ensure that Saturday’s governorship election in Osun State is peaceful, transparent and credible.
Osun residents are expected to head to the polls on Saturday, August 15, 2026, to choose their governor from 15 candidates.
Major contenders include Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party, All Progressives Congress candidate Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola Oyebamiji, and African Democratic Congress candidate Najeem Salaam.
Ahead of the poll, Tinubu warned security agencies not to allow individuals or groups to disrupt the electoral process, stressing that voters and election officials must be able to carry out their duties without intimidation.
In a statement issued by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, the President also challenged INEC to use the Osun election to demonstrate its readiness for the 2027 general elections.
“The election must be transparent, free and fair. I urge INEC to ensure the integrity of the process,” Tinubu said.
He added that he had directed the Inspector-General of Police and other security chiefs involved in the election to provide adequate security at polling units and prevent troublemakers from disrupting voting.
Tinubu encouraged Osun residents to turn out in large numbers and vote for candidates of their choice, assuring them that measures had been put in place to safeguard the exercise.
“Our elections must be credible, and the outcome of the Osun Governorship election must reflect the will of the people,” the President said.

